Darren Heitner is a Partner at Wolfe Law Miami, P.A. who is licensed to practice on the state and federal level, and focuses on sports, entertainment, intellectual property and commercial litigation and transactional work. In addition to his handling of complex transactional and commercial litigation matters, he has a wealth of experience in the world of sports business as Founder/CEO of Dynasty Dealings, LLC, Professor of Sport Agency Management at Indiana University Bloomington, Co-Founder of Collegiate Sports Advisors (CSA), Contributor at Forbes Magazine, and Founder/Chief Editor of Sports Agent Blog, a leading niche industry publication. Darren is AV-Rated by the prestigious Martindale-Hubbell Legal Directory Service, the highest ranking for legal ability and professional ethics given by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Advised a football agency through start-up phase of new venture;
- Defended electronics company against trademark infringement and cybersquatting lawsuit filed by Fortune 500 company;
- Demanded royalty payments from popular online retailers for owner of popular trademark;
- Defended art director against allegations of conversion of property and civil theft related to copyright ownership of work product;
- Represented football agents in fee disputes with former clients under the National Football League Players’ Association’s mandatory grievance procedure;
- Advised individuals interested in breaking into the business of sport;
- Filed trademark applications for businesses in a variety of international classes;
- Protected trademarks through the drafting of cease and desist letters and working with various third parties such as Apple and Google;
- Litigated on behalf of professional managers for entertainers against artists who breached personal services agreements;
- Defended complex commercial litigation concerning the breach of non-compete agreements and misappropriation of trade secrets;
- Litigated a multi-million dollar copyright ownership case concerning the rights to “Dazzey Duks” and “Whoomp! There It Is”;
- Defended a lawsuit based on allegations of defamation, tortious interference with business relationships and a cause of action for injunctive relief;
- Advised a professional hockey player concerning an existing promissory note and threat of entering a confession of judgment;
- Represented a sports agency against a former baseball client for failure to pay off prior loans;
- Litigated against a Fortune 500 company on behalf of a popular MTV character based on claims of trademark infringement and publicity rights;
- Advised broker-dealer with contracts concerning promissory notes between lenders and athlete borrowers.
- JD, University of Florida Levin College of Law, 2010
- BA, University of Florida, 2007
Bars and Courts
- Florida State Bar, 2010
- Southern District of Florida, 2011
- Middle District of Florida, 2013
- Contributing Writer of An Athlete’s Guide to Agents, 5th Edition
- Author of a Dartmouth Law Journal article titled, The Plight of PASPA: It’s Time to Pull the Plug on the Prohibition
- Co-author of a Harvard Journal of Sports and Entertainment Law article titled, You May Not “Like” This Title: Everything Stored On Facebook Is Discoverable
- Co-author of a New York State Bar Association Entertainment, Arts & Sports Law Journal article titled, Football v. Football: A Comparison of Agent Regulation in France’s Ligue 1 and the National Football League
- Author of a DePaul Journal of Sports Law & Contemporary Problems article titled, Money and Sports: Economic Realities of Being An Athlete.
- Author of a DePaul Journal of Sports Law & Contemporary Problems article titled, Pain in the Head: The Official Helmet Company of the NFL’s Potential Liability in the Concussion Lawsuits.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Sports Lawyers Association
- Florida Bar Entertainment, Arts and Sports Law Section
- National Sports and Entertainment Law Society
- Jewish Coaches Association
- Member of the Vermont Law School Sports Law Institute’s Board of Advisors
- Dade County Bar Association
- Recognized by SportsPro Media as 1-of-10 stars of the sports business industry under the age of 30
- “Rising Star” in the sports industry by Partnership Activation, Inc.
- Power 30 Under 30 Miami 2010 Honoree
- Named a Top Sports Social Media Professional of 2010 by SportsNetworker.com
- Chosen as a Florida Legal Elite Up and Comer for 2012 (top attorneys in Florida under 40 years of age)
- Named to Sports Launch Magazine’s Thirty Under 30
- Chosen as a 2013 Rising Star by the Daily Business Review
Visit Darren Heitner for more information.