With more than 18 years of experience Tarver counsels high net worth clients, businesses, and non-profit organizations, with a special emphasis on small, women and family-owned enterprises. Prior to launching the Tarver Law Group, Attorney Tarver worked with the Anti Trust Bureau of the Attorney General’s Office (New York, NY); the Federal Public Defender’s Office (Buffalo, NY); the Mayor’s Office (Oakland, California); the securities division of Wilmer Cutler & Pickering (Washington, DC); and charitable organizations such as Georgetown University, Arizona State University Foundation and Phoenix Children’s Hospital.
TARVER LAW GROUP, PLLC:
Established in 2009, the Tarver Law Group specializes in business planning and formation, employment law, contract review/negotiation, taxation, copyright/trademark, asset protection/succession planning, and wealth transfer. As the firm’s principal, Tarver has significant experience in drafting agreements, devising strategies for transferring wealth and assets, and utilizing charitable vehicles to minimize income, gift, and estate taxes. The firm represents clients in tax litigation before the IRS and AZDOR, and provides trust and estate planning services, Offers in Compromise (OIC), Probate, and bankruptcy services. The firm also counsels non-profits and handles a select number of civil and criminal discrimination cases.
In 2013 Charlene Tarver was sworn into the United States Supreme Court; received the Joyce E. Holsey Award of Excellence from the AZ Black Women Lawyer’s Association; was nominated for the Phoenix Chamber of Commerce’s Athena Award; was admitted to APS’s business development program AAAME; and was appointed by Mayor Greg Stanton to the City’s Parks and Rec Board and the Industrial Development Authorities Board. In 2011, Tarver received a Mayoral-appointment to the City of Phoenix Pension Reform Task Force; in 2010 she joined the distinguished Valley Leadership Institute; and in 2009, she was honored as one of Arizona’s “Top 40 Leaders Under 40”— by the Phoenix Business Journal.
In addition to her professional pursuits, Tarver has been actively involved with a number of charitable organizations and boards throughout the Valley, including the Greater Scottsdale Boys and Girls Club, the Arizona Foundation for Women (Sandra Day O’Connor Scholarship Chair), Jack and Jill of America, Inc., Homeward Bound, TGEN, and Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. Charlene Tarver lives in Scottsdale, with her identical twin daughters and is a frequent presenter on trust and estate planning, women and wealth, charitable giving, and cutting edge issues impacting communities of color.
Tarver holds a Legal Masters (LL.M.) in Tax and a Certificate in Employee Benefits Law from Georgetown University School of Law; a Juris Doctorate from the University at Buffalo School of Law; and a Bachelor’s degree from NYU.
- City of Phoenix, Industrial Development Authorities Board, Member (2013-Present)
- City of Phoenix, Parks and Rec Board, Member (2013-Present)
- City of Phoenix, Pension Reform Task Force, Commissioner (2011-2012)
- Valley Leadership Institute, Class 32 (2010-Present)
- 40 Under 40, Class 2009
- African American Strategic Leadership Group, Presenter and Planning Committee (2009-Present)
- Governor’s Commission on African American Affairs (AALC) (2008-Present)
- Co-chaired Education and Economic Development Committees
- WISE- Women’s Investment Group (2010-Present)
- TGEN- Planned Giving Advisory Board (2009-Present)
- Jack and Jill of America, Inc. (2005-2013)
- Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc. (1993-Present)
- Homeward Bound, Board of Trustees (2010-2011)
- Junior League of Phoenix (2009-2011)
- Women of Scottsdale (2009-2011)
- Greater Scottsdale Boys and Girls Clubs, Advisory Board (2008-2010)
- Arizona Foundation for Women (Sandra Day O’Connor Scholarship Chair) (2006-2011)
Professional Memberships and Affiliations:
- United States Supreme Court Bar (2013-Present)
- Federal Court of Appeals Bar, 9th Circuit (2012-Present)
- Federal Court of Appeals Bar, 5th Circuit (2012-Present)
- National Bar Association (1996-Present)
- State Bar of Arizona, Sections: Trusts and Estates, Tax, Probate, and Solo Practice (2008-Present)
- Arizona Black Bar Association (2009-Present)
- Maricopa County Bar Association (2009-Present)
- Scottsdale Young Estate Planners (SYEP) (2006-Present)
- Phoenix Chamber of Commerce (2009-Present)
- Greater Phoenix Black Chamber of Commerce (2009-Present)
- Planned Giving Round Table of Arizona- (2006 Pres) (2005 Vice Pres/Forum Chair) (2003-2012)
- National Committee on Planned Giving / Partnership for Philanthropic Planning (1999-2010)
- American Bar Association (1995-Present)
- Central Arizona Estate Planning Council (2003-2005)
- Pres. 2004 AZ State Bar Convention— “Charitable Tax Planning for Lawyers” (2004)
- American Bar Association—Advanced Estate Planning Techniques, Maui, Hawaii (2003)
Visit Attorney Charlene Tarver for more information.